Locations / Contact Info:
355 Norman Bethune College - BCKeele CampusPhone: 416-736-2100 Ext. 22927
Faculty & School/Dept.
Faculty of Health - School of Kinesiology & Health Science
B.Sc. Honours (Biology) - 1999
University of Alberta
M.Sc. (Cell Biology) - 2001
University of Alberta
Ph.D. (Kinesiology) - 2010
University of Waterloo
Postdoctoral Fellow - 2011
Postdoctoral Fellow - 2013
University of Alberta
- Nili M, Abidi S, Serna S, Kim S, and Edgell H (2017) Influence of sex, menstrual cycle, and oral contraceptives on the cerebrovascular response to paced deep breathing. Clin Auton Res 2017 Aug 1 [Epub ahead of print].
- Abidi S, Nili M, Serna S, Kim S, Hazlett C, and Edgell H (2017) Influence of sex, menstrual cycle and oral contraceptives on cerebrovascular resistance and cardiorespiratory function during Valsalva or standing. J Appl Physiol 123(2): 375-386.
- Edgell H, Moore LE, Chung C, Byers BW, and Stickland MK (2016) Short-term cardiovascular and autonomic effects of inhaled salbutamol. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 231: 14-20.
- Edgell H, Stickland MK, and MacLean JE (2016) A simplified measurement of pulse wave velocity is not inferior to standard measurement in young adults and children. Blood Press Monit 21(3): 192-5.
- Edgell H, McMurtry MS, Haykowsky MJ, Paterson I, Ezekowitz JA, Dyck JR, and Stickland MK (2015) Peripheral chemoreceptor control of cardiovascular function at rest and during exercise in heart failure patients. Journal of Applied Physiology 118(7): 839-48.
- Edgell H and Stickland MK (2014) Activation of the carotid chemoreflex secondary to muscle maetaboreflex stimulation in men. American Journal of Physiology – Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology 306(9): R693-700.
- Edgell H, Grinberg A, Gagne N, Beavers K, and Hughson RL (2012) Cardiovascular responses to lower body negative pressure before and after 4-hours of head-down bed-rest and seated control in men and women. Journal of Applied Physiology 113(10): 1604-12.
- Edgell H, Petrella RJ, Hodges GJ, and Shoemaker JK (2012) Central versus peripheral cardiovascular risk in metabolic syndrome. Frontiers in Physiology 3:38 Epub 2012 Feb 27.
- Edgell H, Robertson AD, and Hughson RL (2012) Hemodynamics and brain blood flow during posture change in younger and post-menopausal women compared to age-matched men. Journal of Applied Physiology 112(9): 1482-93
- Edgell H and Kaufman S (2008) Effect of hindlimb unloading on salt & water intake and output in male & female rats. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise Jul 40(7): 1249-54.
- Edgell H, Zuj K, Greaves DK, Shoemaker JK, Custaud MA, Kerbeci P, Arbeille P and Hughson RL (2007). WISE-2005: Adrenergic responses of women following 56-days, 6o head-down bed rest with or without exercise countermeasures. American Journal of Physiology: Regulatory Integrative Comparative Physiology. 293: R2343-52.
Southlake Regional Health Centre
Currently available to supervise graduate students: Yes
Currently taking on work-study students, Graduate Assistants or Volunteers: No
Available to supervise undergraduate thesis projects: No
Cardiovascular diseases are the primary cause of mortality in Canadian women and cost the Canadian government more than $20 billion/year. The Women’s Cardiovascular Health lab will perform research with the intent of improving quality of life and standard of care while decreasing the cost of health care. The Women’s Cardiovascular Health lab at York University will determine the mechanisms behind the prevalence and lethality of cardiovascular disease in women and to use this information to find potential avenues of treatment. In particular, the lab will focus on 1) sexually dimorphic autonomic, cardiovascular, and respiratory responses to physiological stressors and the changes in those responses due to sex and/or female sex hormones, 2) determining the mechanism behind the greater propensity of women for orthostatic hypotension (OH) and postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), and 3) researching potential treatment avenues for OH and POTS such as pharmaceuticals (e.g. oral contraceptives/hormone replacement) and exercise interventions.
Through collaborations with Southlake Regional Health Centre, the lab is also investigating microvascular/endothelial function in male and female angina patients.
Cerebrovascular and ventilatory responses to autonomic reflex stimulation
Role: Principal Investigator
Year Funded: 2016
Funded by: Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council