Please note the following important change regarding the Athletic Therapy Certificate Program requirements:
On November 22nd 2018, York University Senate approved the following new admission and program requirements for the Athletic Therapy Certificate Program:
New Athletic Therapy Certificate Program Admission Requirements (Beginning 2019)
Athletic Therapy Certificate (concurrent only with York University Kinesiology and Health Science Undergraduate Degree).
York University Kinesiology and Health Science graduates are not eligible to apply to the Athletic Therapy Certificate.
Admission to the Athletic Therapy Certificate Stream
- Registered in the BA or BSc Kinesiology and Health Science Honours degree program at York University
- Submit an application by February 1 to the KINE undergraduate office
- Submit two names of referees with their email address - one of which who will validate the completion of 40 experiential hours in the clinical and/or field setting with a therapy related health care professional by August 31 of same calendar year of your application
Please note: referees that are family members, friends, family friends or fellow students are not acceptable.
- Applicants must have completed or be in the process of completing a minimum of 48 credits by the end of the Winter Term of the same calendar year as their application to the York ATCP, and achieved a minimum cumulative grade point average of 5.00 (C+)
* Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 40 volunteer hours requirement for the Athletic Therapy 2021 application will not be required.
- Completed the following courses:
KINE 2011 3.00 – Human Physiology I (with minimum grade of C+) This course must be completed by the end of Winter sessional courses in the same calendar year of your application
KINE 2031 3.00 – Human Anatomy (with minimum grade of C+) This course must be completed by the end of Winter sessional courses in the same calendar year of your application
- KINE 2495 3.00 – Sports Injuries (with minimum grade of C+) This course must be completed by the end of Winter sessional courses in the same calendar year of your application
- (OR KINE 2490 3.00 Athletic Therapy I AND KINE 3600 3.00 Athletic Therapy II with minimum grade of C+, in place of KINE 2495 3.00) For applicants who have only completed KINE 2490 but not KINE 3600 or KINE 2495, you remain eligible to submit an application, however, should you be successful with your application, you will be given a conditional acceptance with the condition of completing a required assignment by August 31 of the same calendar year of your application
- Must have Standard First Aid and CPR-C certification or (HH/PKIN 0750 0.00 – Emergency Care I)
- Eligible applicants will be contacted to complete an interview process.
- December 1st, 2020
Deadline for Application
- February 1 to the KINE undergraduate office
- Your student account will be charged a $75.00 application fee
Application Package Content
- All applications, references and proof of First Aid and CPR are submitted online (available on December 1st, 2020).
- Click HERE to apply.
Acceptance Letters Sent
Date for Interviews
- Interviews will be offered to select applicants in March.
Number of years of commitment to the program
- 3 years
External Certificate Received Concurrently
- Preparation for the C.A.T.A examination
Anyone entering the program in the Fall of 2019 or beyond will be following the new Athletic Therapy Certificate Program requirements:
Required Academic Courses
The Kinesiology and Health Science core courses plus the following requirements must be met to receive the Certificate in Athletic Therapy.
Field Care Unit
HH/KINE 2500 3.00 - Athletic Therapy Field Inquiry-Based Tutorial
HH/KINE 2501 3.00 - Athletic Therapy Field Seminar & Skills
Extremity Care Unit
HH/KINE 2502 3.00 - Athletic Therapy Extremities Inquiry-Based Tutorial
HH/KINE 2503 3.00 - Athletic Therapy Extremities Seminar & Skills
Head, Trunk & Spine Care Unit
HH/KINE 3500 3.00 - Athletic Therapy Head, Trunk & Spine Inquiry-Based Tutorial
HH/KINE 3501 3.00 – Athletic Therapy Head, Trunk & Spine Seminar & Skills
Upper & Lower Quadrant Care Unit
HH/KINE 3502 3.00 - Athletic Therapy Upper & Lower Quadrant Inquiry-Based Tutorial
HH/KINE 3503 3.00 – Athletic Therapy Upper & Lower Quadrant Seminar & Skills
Integrative Care Unit
HH/KINE 4592 6.00 - Athletic Therapy Experiential Education
HH/KINE 4593 3.00 - Athletic Therapy Integrative Seminar & Skills
Required Practicum Courses
The Kinesiology and Health Science core practicum courses plus the following requirements must be met to receive the Certificate in Athletic Therapy.
HH/PKIN 0761 0.00 – First Responder for Athletic Therapy I
HH/PKIN 0762 0.00 – First Responder for Athletic Therapy II
HH/PKIN 0811 0.00 – Practicum for Athletic Therapy I (replaces PKIN Team)
HH/PKIN 0812 0.00 – Practicum for Athletic Therapy II (replaces PKIN Individual/Dual)