Attention: Athletic Therapy Certificate (concurrent only with York University Kinesiology and Health Science Undergraduate Degree).
York University Kinesiology and Health Science graduates are not eligible to apply for the Athletic Therapy Certificate.
Students must be degree candidates in the Kinesiology and Health Science Honours program at York University. The application process for this program includes a competed application form and two reference letters, one of which indicates a completion of 40 experiential hours in the clinical and/or field setting with a Certified Athletic Therapist - CAT(C) or Sport Physiotherapist or a current York Athletic Therapy Certificate Program (ATCP) student enrolled in HH/KINE 4592. Applicants, must have completed or be in the process of completing a minimum of 48 credits by the end of the Winter Term of the same calendar year as their application to the York ATCP, and achieved a minimum cumulative grade point average of 5.00 (C+), including minimum grade of C+ in each of HH/KINE 2495 3.00 (or HH/KINE 2490 3.00 and HH/KINE 3600 3.00), HH/KINE 2011 3.00 and HH/KINE 2031 3.00. Standard First Aid and CPR-C certification (or HH/PKIN 0750 0.00) is also required. Applications must be submitted to the Kinesiology Undergraduate Office by February 1. Upon review of submitted applications, eligible applicants will be contacted to complete an interview process. Successful applicants will be offered a letter of admission into the Athletic Therapy Certificate Program.
- Registered in the BA or BSc Kinesiology and Health Science Honours degree program at York University
- Submit an application by February 1 to the KINE undergraduate office
- Submit two names of referees with their email address
Please note: referees that are family members, friends, family friends or fellow students are not acceptable.
**Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you can submit two names of referees, validation of completed hours will not be required.
- Applicants must have completed or be in the process of completing a minimum of 48 credits by the end of the Winter Term of the same calendar year as their application to the York ATCP and achieved a minimum cumulative grade point average of 5.00 (C+)
** Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 40 volunteer hours required for the Athletic Therapy 2021 application will not be required.Applicants must also have completed the following courses:
- KINE 2011 3.00 – Human Physiology I (with minimum grade of C+) This course must be completed by the end of Winter sessional courses in the same calendar year of your application
- KINE 2031 3.00 – Human Anatomy (with minimum grade of C+) This course must be completed by the end of Winter sessional courses in the same calendar year of your application
- KINE 2495 3.00 – Sports Injuries (with minimum grade of C+) This course must be completed by the end of Winter sessional courses in the same calendar year of your application
- (OR KINE 2490 3.00 Athletic Therapy I AND KINE 3600 3.00 Athletic Therapy II with minimum grade of C+, in place of KINE 2495 3.00) For applicants who have only completed KINE 2490 but not KINE 3600 or KINE 2495, you remain eligible to submit an application, however, should you be successful with your application, you will be given a conditional acceptance with the condition of completing a required assignment by August 31 of the same calendar year of your application
- Must have Standard First Aid and CPR-C certification or (HH/PKIN 0750 0.00 – Emergency Care I)
- Eligible applicants will be contacted to complete an interview process.
- December 1st, 2020
Deadline for Application
- February 1, 2021
- Your student account will be charged a $75.00 application fee
Application Package Content
- All applications, references and proof of First Aid and CPR are submitted online (available on December 1st, 2020).
- Online Application
Acceptance Letters Sent
Date for Interviews
- Interviews will be offered to select applicants in March.
Number of years of commitment to the program
- 3 years
External Certificate Received Concurrently
- Preparation for the C.A.T.A examination
**Anyone entering the program in the Fall of 2019 or beyond will be following the new Athletic Therapy Certificate Program requirements.